Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bliss

I woke up sandwiched between my two best friends to the sound of birds tweeting, a lawnmower mowing and a ray of sunshine blinding my eyes. After a dreary seven days of rain, I was in pure bliss.

I forgot to mention that when I woke up, I was still sleepy. So, I did what any person might do on a Saturday morning--I went right back to sleep. I was awoken at 11:30 by a phone call from a friend. I groggily made plans and after a few minutes of morning stretches and a some yawning, I hauled my body out of bed. I skipped breakfast this morning and instead packed a picnic lunch.

A friend picked us up and we headed to one of my favorite little beaches. We unrolled a huge wool blanket and laid it down on the rocks. We sat Indian-style while munching on a delicious lunch and enjoying each others company.

The sea breeze swept across our bodies, luring me towards the water. I kicked my sandals off, rolled up my jeans and waded in. The refreshing, salty water stung my legs; a sensation that I had been missing for months.

By the time we got home, the sun had gotten even hotter and put all of us in a trance. The four of us lay on the driveway, the black tar practically burning our backs and the bright sun keeping us from opening our eyes. I felt so content, perhaps the most content I had felt in weeks. In a brief moment of silence, I announced, "Life is SO good." There I was, lying on the ground, surrounded by friendship, laughter, happiness and sunshine--what's better than that?--and I realized, this is why I do it. This is why I have my bad days, so good days like today seem like a gift. If every day were wonderful, at some point I wouldn't consider them wonderful anymore. I recognize these special moments, both verbally and in writing, so when I hit a bump on the road of life (which I'm sure I'll do this coming week, maybe even tomorrow...) I can look back and say to myself, "You do have good days! You had a good day last Saturday! You'll have another one soon if you keep pushing through! Your life is so good!"

Tonight, I will go to bed feeling happy, lucky and oh so grateful for this precious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment