Friday, December 3, 2010

Sorry, blog.

I'm sorry for neglecting you, bloggy. Life has been hectic.

So, where did I leave off? Oh yeah, it was Thanksgiving Eve. My siblings were home. And I was happy. Thanksgiving was absolutely wonderful. This year it was small--only my mom, siblings and our grandparents. Just the way I like it. This year I truly realized the meaning of Thanksgiving. Of course, we all realize the original meaning of Thanksgiving...being thankful for the "bountiful harvest" but we don't stop right there. This year I had so much to be grateful--it ranged from a sweet dog who loves to snuggle to the awesome job that I scored this past year to a warm house to finding a million reasons to smile each day. But, as Kelle Hampton so nicely put it, "that's not the heart of it. That's not the meaty core of Thanksgiving...the kind [she wants her] kids to grasp and feel." The thankfulness that I felt this holiday came right around the time that my mother was frantically trying to heat up all the food (that we had already cooked the day before), Henry and my grandfather were talkin' football talk in front of the tv, the fire was blazing, Lucy was working on a puzzle, the dog sprawled out beneath her feet, my grandmother was telling my mom old stories and I was roaming amongst them all, drinking in the happiness and the warmth that I have in my family and in my life. This holiday was everything I had envisioned and more--It was as peaceful as ever, I was surrounded by those I love and we had delicious food.

The family fun came on Saturday night. Henry, Lucy, my mom and I drove to my grandparents, where my mom's brother Bruce and his girlfriend Sherry were. We laughed SO many times that night. I wish I wrote down every word that was said. I absolutely adore the openness of my family and our ability to be sarcastic and funny with each other one minute and then move to a more serious topic when appropriate...and then go right back to laughing after.



See what I mean? Silly to serious in a second.

Sunday was sad. Saying goodbye to my favorite (and only!) siblings in the whole wide world was hard! It was one of the best visits we've ever had...each time we get closer and closer. The distance is suddenly killing me. At first it didn't bother me that Lucy and Henry were a couple hundred miles away from me. When they left after this visit, it really sunk in. My heart felt so full and happy while they were home and now there's a large void.

Anyway, this just means that I'm extra excited for Christmas break. And speaking of Christmas...I'm starting to get in the mood more. At first I couldn't decide if I would like this holiday this year...but I think I've decided that I do. I go through this every year. I love Christmas. No matter what.

I'm aiming towards a hand-made Christmas (aka all hand-made gifts) which I know will not happen, but I'm going to do my best. No time to blog...I gotta get craftin', folks. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment