Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I love you, baby girl.


She has a fear of cameras so I always have to hop in the picture with her.

I am at loss for words. I cannot explain the wave of grief that washed over me and knocked me down yesterday. My sweet girl, Dasher, was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure and lyme disease. Only one fourth of one kidney is functioning and they gave her a month to live. A month is not long enough for me to tell her all I have to say. This dog has changed my life. She's more than just a dog; she's my best friend. I will never forget the moment I saw her fly out of a dog crate with her huge ears and oversize paws, just bounding with puppy love. These eight years with her have been something else. Just one look into her sweet eyes can totally turn my day around. My friends always joke, "Sophie, your dog is staring deep into my soul!", but that's exactly what she does. She looks at you with such emotion and meaning; it's impossible to look at her without your heart melting.

At this point, I feel like it's just a scary waiting game. I find myself drifting over to where she's curled up in a club chair about every five minutes to get on my knees, wrap my arms around her little body, bury my face in her soft fur, take in her rugged dog smell, kiss her a few times and whisper "I love you, baby girl" as many times as I can. I am determined to make this next month (or hopefully longer!) extra special. I want to store as many memories in my mind as possible and I want my girl to feel so very loved. I'm trying to keep my chin up because I know she's had such a great life but at the same time this has all happened so fast and the thought of not having her here is terrifying. One day at a time, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment